This history was constructed in July 1995 with the help oldest and only living chartered member, Sis. Maggie Thomas who at this time had been a member of St. Paul for 65 years and was at the time of this writing 94 years old. Mother Thomas passed on November 28, 2000, at the age of 99 years old.
We actually started out as two separate churches. St. Paul Baptist Church and Bethlehem Baptist, before we merged later. The Church was organized with seven members who were: Rev. R.H. Overhall, Sis. Overhall, Bro. Arthur Cleve, Bro. Brown, Rev. Harris, Rev. Overhall’s brother-in-law, and Sis. Maggie Thomas, in a small house on Bruen and Perry Streets, and later moved to a home on West Fifth Street. They gained 15 additional members after a revival. We held our services there for six months before we merged with Bethlehem Baptist Church in 1930.
The merger brought membership up to 80 persons and the new pastor, the Rev. Alex L. Strozier began formulating plans to build a permanent church for his flock. We utilized our own carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and bricklayers within our membership. Money for the land and materials was also raised by church members who sponsored special dinners and other fund-raising events.
The Construction project took about six years to complete, with members working year round. “Everything went smoothly”. We worshipped in the basement until we could move upstairs. Later minor additions, such as a steeple and a new baptismal were made. There was a corner stone ceremony in 1942, in which the church was paid for.
In 1942, Sis. Maggie Thomas formed the church’s first choir, with our first pianist, Bro. Williams, who was visually impaired. Sis. Thomas serves as the church secretary for 30 years. She also formed the first Mother’s Board, of which she was president for 45 years. She was also the Sunday school teacher for approximately 25 years. Dec. Miles Thomas formed the first Deacon Board, of which he was president for 31 years and served as the first superintendent of Sunday school.
Rev. A.L. Strozier pastored for about thirty-three years. After his death in 1966, the congregation appointed Rev. Richmond, who pastored for two years. After Rev. Richmond left, Rev. Steel Janikan with his wife Rena Janikan pastored for eight years until he became ill and had to resign. Rev. Samuel Hope pastored for approximately seven years, beginning in 1980.
In 1987, negotiations began in the separation of church and congregation with the former minister, Rev. Samuel Hope. Approximately 45 members followed him. Bro. James (Weekly) Cunningham (special donor) and Rev. John Rice were used by God to finance the transition.
Rev. John H. Rice was elected Pastor of the Church, who has been a member since 1960, with assistant Pastor Rev. Velma J. Anderson, who has been a member since 1954.
In April, 1992, the St. Paul Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church was incorporated as St. Paul Baptist Church of Dayton, Inc, under the ministry of Rev. John H. Rice with a membership of approximately 200 members. At this time the board of directors/trustees were elected. The original board consisted of the following:
Rev. John Rice, President
Sis. Bernice Blow, Secretary
Sis. Helen James, Treasurer
Rev. Velma Anderson, Assistant Treasurer
Bro. Theodore Newell Jr.
Sis. Maggie Thomas
Sis. Gladys Wyatt
During the years of negotiations, members began to fellowship with other churches and the membership decreased.
Due to the lack of membership, Bro. Gerald Davis of Tabernacle Baptist Church and Bro. Bobby Richardson came to our aid beginning in 1995, and thereon invited other ministers to administer the gospel which helped Rev. John Rice. At this time there was only one deacon Bro. Theodore Newell with whom Bro. Davis worked with until the Lord called Bro. Newell in February, 1999.
There were a number of women ministers that had come to us, in which St. Paul sponsored from United Theological Seminary and help further their ministry. In September, 1999 Bro. Bobby Richardson was called home to be with the Lord, and in August, 2001 Bro. Gerald Davis went home to rest.
Nevertheless, there was one minister who delivered the gospel to us one Sunday every month faithfully beginning in 1995, which was evangelist John Allen who was also from Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church.
In March, 2000, Minister Mark C. McGuire, Sr. and his wife Felicia joined St. Paul Baptist Church and began working faithfully in order to bring the church and congregation to where it is today. At this time there were only a very few active members. The emeritus John H. Rice decided to retire in order to allow this young man to continue the Lords work without hesitation.
In January, 2001, Minister Mark C. McGuire, Sr. became our senior pastor, Elder John Allen, as associate minister, Rev. Velma Anderson, remained as the assistant pastor. In 2003 this historical baptist church began its transformation into a new millennium inter-denominational body of believers, known as, St. Paul Global Outreach Ministries. The congregation has grown tremendously since his tenure. Now with the addition of several para-ministries, and international missions, we have now become the St. Paul Global Network. We truly have been blessed to receive a servant in God’s name, to continue to lead us into the next dimension in the Lord’s work.
After much fasting and prayer, God spoke to Bishop Mark McGuire concerning a new Kingdom-minded direction for the church. We were no longer to be St Paul Global Outreach Ministries, but we would become an offspring of The Potter’s House International Ministries of Jacksonville, Fl., under the direction and spiritual guidance of Bishop Vaughn M. McLaughlin. On February 12, 2012 we became The Potter’s House-Dayton International Ministries. This is an exciting time for us. We are now to develop and labor as “the potter’s house” (Jeremiah 18:3-6). Not only are we being formed, but we are to bring others to The Potter’s House for God to reshape in His image. We have heard and accepted the call. We are the light of the world, a city that is set on a hill! Come and allow God to mend the broken pieces of your life.